Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Same Old Thing?

When I was a child, many, many years ago, my dad used to tell me a story.

He would begin with – “many, many years ago, way up in the great north woods, 15 men were sitting around a campfire. When one arose and said, “Uncle John, tell us a story”. So Uncle John arose and said…… many, many years ago, way up in the great north woods, 15 men were sitting around a campfire. When one arose and said, “Uncle John, tell us a story”. So Uncle John arose and said……many many years ago, way up in the great north woods…..! Until I was at least 10 or older, my dad would always get to the third or fourth “Uncle John, tell us a story”, before I finally realized that I was hearing the same story over and over. I would get so mad at him for fooling me! I felt cheated because I had expected to hear something of worth, not the same story over and over again.

I think this is like our lives sometimes. We tell the same old story over and over, we use the same old excuses for telling the same old story over and over, until eventually, no one wants to hear our tired, same old story over and over again, because it has become meaningless! The problem is, we begin to believe our same old story and think that we can’t change it……… but we can. Do you wear the same clothes every day? Do you listen to only one song on the radio or your IPOD? Do you eat the same food item every day at every meal? Do you only watch one television show? Do you visit only one website on the internet? Do you only have one number stored in your phone? Do you only have one friend on Facebook? If we can manage to change our clothes, our music, our food, and our friends, etc., why can’t we manage to change ourselves when we need to make a change? That same old story we tell every day for why we are late to class, or why we don’t make it to class at all becomes meaningless. That same old story we tell for why we are failing a class, or not getting our homework in on time becomes meaningless. That same old story we tell for why we have to have our cell phones on in class, or why we have to treat another individual with disrespect becomes meaningless.

Don’t let your same old story become meaningless…..otherwise, eventually, no one will want to hear it anymore. You are the author…change your story.

KB

1 comment:

  1. Commenting on The Same Old Story, I agree that what we need to do to make our lives more successful is to change our old routines. I am 42 years old and have had many experiences in my life. Having gained this experience, I can look back and see that had I not changed some of the habits that I was doing then I would never have progressed in life. I've seen that when the road gets to bad to move on, and all your doing is spinning your tires, then it's time to change your tires. There's nothing worse than being stuck and I definitely wouldn't want to stay stuck. There's been times through my life that I've had to get new tires, maybe even studded tires, but I've learned how to progress on. They say that old habits are hard to break, but we need to learn how to break them. They are hard to break, not impossible. So I totally agree with this article.

    ReplyDelete